Feeling Gratitude for Simple Things

​Feeling gratitude for simple things can change the way you experience each day. In this message, discover how appreciating small blessings—such as a quiet moment, a kind word, time with loved ones, or a beautiful view—can support greater joy, peace, and contentment.

Links included

Psalms of Lament https://revtrev.com/psalms
Download the Our Father Prayer Rhythm https://revtrev.link/pray
Learn more about the Live Light 70-day Gratitude Challenge https://revtrev.link/thanks

#gratitude, #gratitudepractice, #simplethingsinlife

Practice gratitude by noticing the good around you and making appreciation part of your daily routine. Small moments often have the power to create a more positive mindset and a meaningful life.

Trevor H Lund helps capable and caring people—who are growing weary in doing good—move from striving and stress to peace and purpose as they rediscover and enjoy the life God created them for. He does this as an encourager, writer, and authorpreneur. He encourages through his blog, podcast, and live casts at https://revtrev.com/, shares his writing at https://trevorlund.com/, and teaches in Live LIGHT Academy at https://livelight.ca/.

Feeling Gratitude for Simple things

Listen to Feeling Gratitude for Simple Things

Subscribe where you listen to podcasts https://revtrev.com/radio

Watch the Teaching of Feeling Gratitude for Simple Things

Subscribe and set notifications https://revtrev.com/tv

Watch the Replay of the Live Cast Feeling Gratitude for Simple Things

Summary of Feeling Gratitude for Simple Things

Gratitude for simple things can become a steady spiritual practice, even when life includes fear, illness, grief, or uncertainty. This post explores how ordinary blessings often become invisible when familiarity turns gifts into expectations. Drawing on 1 Thessalonians 5:16–18, it connects joy, prayer, and thankfulness while emphasizing that gratitude does not require denying pain. A personal medical experience illustrates how honest prayer and trust can make room for peace during a frightening complication. The post also presents a practical framework for developing gratitude: decide to notice, feel appreciation for a specific gift, and express that appreciation through action. Finally, it explains how a consistent 70-day practice can help gratitude become more automatic.

Read Feeling Gratitude for Simple Things Can Transform Difficult Days

A nurse once told me I had far too much joy for someone in my situation. She was right: I was lying in a pool of my own blood after a medical complication.

Yet I was not pretending everything was fine. I had already poured out my fear and complaint to God in prayer with thanksgiving. That honest prayer made room for something I did not expect: peace, appreciation, and joy in the middle of a frightening moment.

The Bible connects joy, prayer, and thankfulness in 1 Thessalonians 5:16–18: “Always be joyful, never stop praying, be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.”

This does not mean every situation feels easy. It means gratitude for simple things can become a way of noticing God’s care, even when life feels anything but simple.

Why Everyday Blessings Become Invisible

When life gets busy, gratitude is often one of the first things to disappear.

You wake up and the day immediately begins making demands. There is a meal on the table, a safe place to sleep, a message from a friend, a warm drink, strength for the day, a quiet moment, meaningful work, someone willing to listen, or another opportunity to begin again.

These gifts may seem small because they are familiar. But familiar gifts still deserve thanks.

The problem begins when daily blessings stop feeling like gifts and start feeling like rights. You may move from “Thank you, God,” to “Of course I have this,” without noticing the change.

Consider what you might now treat as an entitlement even though you once recognized it as a blessing:

  • A spouse or friend who helps with ordinary responsibilities
  • A vehicle that starts each morning
  • A body that continues to carry you through the day
  • A home where you can rest
  • Food that is available when you are hungry
  • Someone who listens when you need to speak
  • The opportunity to begin again after a difficult day

When gratitude disappears, entitlement can quietly take its place. Entitlement steals joy before you realize it is gone.

Gratitude for Simple Things Begins With Attention

In the ancient Hebrew understanding, the heart is more than the center of emotion. It is also connected with decisions and actions.

That gives “wholehearted gratitude” a deeper meaning. Gratitude involves three connected movements:

  1. You decide to notice.
  2. You feel thankful for what you notice.
  3. You express appreciation through action, worship, or service.

Many people stop at the first step, if they reach it at all. They may notice a blessing briefly but never pause to feel gratitude or respond meaningfully.

A thankful heart therefore requires attention. You deliberately look at what is in front of you and recognize it as a gift rather than assuming it is owed to you.

This practice may begin with something very ordinary. You might notice the food you nearly rushed past, the safe journey home, the person who checked on you, or the breath you just took.

Attention forms part of worship because it redirects your focus. Instead of seeing only what is missing, you begin to recognize what has already been given.

A Medical Crisis That Revealed Unexpected Joy

Before traveling to New Zealand for our son’s graduation and wedding, I was waiting for cardiac ablation surgery. My heart would sometimes beat irregularly, my watch repeatedly alerted me, and I had visited the emergency room several times for ECGs.

I was also taking special blood thinners so medical staff could use paddles if the irregular rhythm happened again.

The surgery was scheduled for the week before our trip. I asked the nurse arranging it whether travelling to the other side of the world the following week could create a problem. She explained that the medical team would not want me to experience complications out of province and said she would try to reschedule the procedure for after I returned.

The word “complications” stayed with me.

I had already experienced too many health complications, and I did not want another one. After thinking about it for several days, I finally brought the fear to God. I poured out my complaint honestly.

God does not need us to hide what is on our hearts. He knows us more deeply than we know ourselves. As I prayed, I remembered previous health complications and the ways I had experienced God’s presence and help through them. I sensed the question: Would I trust Him with any complication this time?

I chose to trust Him, and I experienced peace. Through prayer, I exchanged my problems for His peace.

The surgery itself went well, although there was a complication. I had to remain lying on my back without sitting up. Nurses found a hematoma beginning to form and worked to resolve it. At one point, I nearly passed out and felt sick, but they gave me a drip and orange juice, and I began to recover.

Later, as two nurses changed the dressings on each side, the nurse working on the left noticed that the right side had started bleeding. He called the other nurse back while pressure was applied. She pressed harder, and I began to feel as though I might become sick or lose consciousness again.

Once more, I received medical support and orange juice. Gradually, I felt better.

Throughout the process, I appreciated the nurse who was working overtime to help me get home as soon as possible. I thanked her and told her I was grateful.

She replied, “You have far too much joy for the situation you’re in right now.”

She was right. I was lying in a pool of my own blood. But my laughter was not denial or delusion. I was at peace. I believed God was with me and would use the experience for good.

I was grateful that the complication happened in the hospital, where trained people could help me, rather than at home.

Joy, Prayer, and Thankfulness Belong Together

Paul’s words in 1 Thessalonians connect three practices: joy, prayer, and gratitude.

They work together like a three-strand cord.

Prayer helps you notice what you often overlook. When you slow down before God, you become more aware of the meal on the table, the person beside you, and the strength that carried you through the day.

Prayer moves your attention from demand to relationship. Instead of approaching God only with requests, you become aware of His presence and care.

This does not mean Christians must force themselves to feel cheerful. Biblical joy is not the same as pretending that circumstances are pleasant. It is possible to experience joy because of God’s presence while still feeling fear, grief, disappointment, or physical pain.

Psalm 118:24 says, “This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.”

That verse does not promise that every day will feel easy. It points to a different truth: every day belongs to God. You receive the present day as a gift rather than treating it as something guaranteed or owed to you.

Gratitude Does Not Cancel Grief

“Give thanks in all circumstances” is sometimes misunderstood as an instruction to smile through every painful event. But gratitude does not require you to call suffering good or pretend that loss does not hurt.

You may feel grief and gratitude at the same time.

You may face pressure and still thank God for His presence. You may lack an answer and still trust His care. You may feel afraid while recognizing that you are not alone.

Gratitude does not deny hardship. It gives hardship its proper place.

A difficult day may contain real difficulty, but difficulty does not have to become the whole story. God remains present, mercy continues, and gifts may still surround you even when you cannot yet see how the situation will resolve.

When life feels heavy, begin with honest prayer. A psalm of lament can help you express what you truly feel before trying to give thanks. You can pour out your complaint first and then make room for gratitude.

That order matters. Honest prayer is not the opposite of faith. It can prepare your attention to recognize God’s care.

How to Practice Gratitude for Simple Things Every Day

Gratitude becomes stronger when it moves beyond a general statement such as “I am thankful for my family.” Specific appreciation helps you notice the details of how care reaches you.

Instead, write something like:

“I am thankful that my sister called and listened when I felt stressed.”

The specific detail matters. It identifies what happened, how it affected you, and why it was meaningful.

A simple daily framework includes three steps:

1. Decide to give thanks

Make a deliberate choice to look for one gift, even when your emotions are unsettled. This is not pretending. It is directing your attention.

2. Feel gratitude for a specific gift

Name the particular person, moment, provision, or strength that you recognize. Avoid vague language when possible.

3. Show appreciation

Respond through prayer, a message, a kind word, practical help, or an act of worship. Gratitude becomes more lasting when it takes visible form.

This framework can be practiced privately or in community. In a small group, one person’s expression of thanks may remind another person of a forgotten gift. A story about daily provision may strengthen someone facing fear.

Shared gratitude does not remove problems, but it gives people a faithful way to respond together.

Building a Thankful Mind Through Repetition

A lasting practice usually requires consistency.

The 70-day gratitude approach is designed to provide enough time for repeated practice. Researcher Philippa Lally at University College London found that new habits took an average of 66 days to become automatic. A 70-day period covers that average timeframe with a small additional margin.

The practice can also include repeated 21-day periods. Happiness researcher Shawn Achor reported that gratitude journaling for 21 days increases optimism and happiness. A 70-day period allows for three such cycles, with additional days continuing the practice.

The central framework remains simple:

  • Decide to give thanks.
  • Feel gratitude for something specific.
  • Show appreciation through action.

Consistency matters because habit formation involves repeated patterns. UCLA Health published information in 2025 describing how forming new habits involves creating new neural pathways through consistent repetition over time.

The goal is not to manufacture positive feelings on demand. It is to retrain your attention so that ordinary gifts become visible again.

Begin With One Overlooked Blessing

You do not need to begin with a long list or a dramatic spiritual experience.

Start with one blessing you nearly missed today.

It might be:

  • A meal you ate quickly
  • A safe drive home
  • A warm drink
  • A friend’s message
  • The ability to rest
  • Strength for one more task
  • A quiet moment
  • The chance to begin again

Then move through the three parts of wholehearted gratitude. Decide to notice it, allow yourself to feel thankful, and express appreciation in some way.

Gratitude for simple things is not denial. It is a decision to notice God’s care in ordinary moments. You can grieve and give thanks. You can face uncertainty and still pray. You can acknowledge hardship while recognizing that hardship does not contain the entire story.

Your heart can be retrained. Begin by noticing the gift that is already in front of you.

Learn more about the Live LIGHT 70-Day Gratitude Challenge - Start today https://revtrev.link/thanks

Feeling Gratitude for simple things

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story - 6 Things I Never Want to Forget

3 truths that help you fast from negativity - Livecast

Live LIGHT LOOP for Friday, December 16, 2022