Why Your Faith May Feel Distant from God and How to Restore it
Feeling distant from God? Discover the spiritual, emotional, and practical reasons behind it—and find hope, clarity, and a path back to faith today.
In this training, you’ll discover practical and faith-based steps to reconnect with God, strengthen your prayer life, and find hope when God feels far away. If you are experiencing spiritual dryness, remember that feeling distant does not mean God has abandoned you. Learn lament and the power of gratitude today.
Trevor H Lund helps capable and caring people—who are growing weary in doing good—move from striving and stress to peace and purpose as they rediscover and enjoy the life God created them for. He does this as an encourager, writer, and authorpreneur. He encourages through his blog, podcast, and live casts at https://revtrev.com/, shares his writing at https://trevorlund.com/, and teaches in Live LIGHT Academy at https://livelight.ca/.
Listen to Why Your Faith May Feel Distant from God and How to Restore it
Watch the Replay of Why Your Faith May Feel Distant from God and How to Restore it
Read Why You Feel Distant From God—and How to Find Your Way Back
Have you ever wondered why you feel distant from God?
You may still pray, attend church, serve others, and read the Bible. Yet something feels different. Your faith feels mechanical. Your heart feels tired. You may even wonder whether God has withdrawn from you—or whether you have somehow failed Him.
Feeling spiritually distant does not mean you have lost your faith. Often, it means you are carrying disappointment, grief, unanswered questions, or unmet expectations that you have not brought honestly to God.
The Bible gives us a clear way to understand this distance—and a path back to closeness with Him.
When Obedience Does Not Look the Way You Expected
I once left a church I loved because I believed God was calling me to move my family around the world. It meant leaving behind family, friends, finances, and a familiar future.
A month after I announced our plans, my father was diagnosed with bulbar ALS and given only a short time to live.
I believed I was obeying God, but I also told Him, “If I go, I want open heaven.”
We arrived in Auckland, New Zealand, on January 1, 2005. It was a city of about a million people, and everyone seemed to be at the beach. As we drove along empty four-lane highways to a friend’s house, I remember thinking, “This does not look like open heaven.”
We stayed in New Zealand for eight months. Eventually, everyone who knew us agreed that we needed to return to Canada to be with my family. I helped my father finish his book and get it published before he died.
At the time, I did not have the words to describe what I was feeling. I only knew the familiar language: “God is the potter, and I am the clay. Who am I to question what He is doing?”
But beneath those words, I felt hurt and confused. I felt separated from God. Someone even asked me, “You used to be someone. What happened?”
Looking back, I realized that I was not simply confused. I was offended by God.
Spiritual Distance Often Begins With Unmet Expectations
Many people experience spiritual distance through a slow drift.
You continue praying. You keep serving. You attend church and fulfill your responsibilities. But your heart begins to run on autopilot.
You may not remember a specific moment when things changed. You did not intentionally walk away from God. You simply moved farther back, emotionally and spiritually.
This often happens when your experience does not match your expectations.
You expected healing, but the diagnosis remained.
You expected provision, but the financial pressure continued.
You expected a clear answer, but God seemed silent.
You expected obedience to lead to blessing, but instead you encountered loss.
When reality clashes with what we believed God would do, disappointment can quietly create distance.
Even John the Baptist Felt Distant From God
John the Baptist had a powerful spiritual history. He publicly pointed people toward Jesus and called Him “the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.”
John had baptized Jesus. He had heard the voice from heaven say, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” Jesus even described John as one of the greatest prophets.
Yet John eventually found himself in prison.
While John waited in darkness, Jesus was healing the sick, setting people free, and preaching the good news. John had expected the Messiah to bring freedom, but he was still imprisoned.
So John sent his disciples to ask Jesus:
“Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”
—Matthew 11:3
John’s question came from a painful gap between what he believed and what he experienced.
Jesus did not shame him for asking. Instead, He told John’s disciples to report what they had seen:
“The blind see, the lame walk, those with leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor.”
—Luke 7:22
Then Jesus added:
“Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”
—Matthew 11:6
In other words, blessed is the person who is not offended by Jesus when His work does not happen according to their expectations.
That message is still relevant today.
You May Feel Distant From God Because You Are Hurt
Sometimes the reason you feel distant from God is not that you have stopped believing. You may simply be disappointed with Him.
You may be carrying:
- An unanswered prayer
- A painful loss
- A difficult diagnosis
- A broken relationship
- A season of silence
- A calling that became harder than expected
- A spiritual disappointment
- Anger over something God allowed
These emotions do not make you a bad Christian. They make you human.
The danger is not having honest emotions. The danger is hiding them.
When you pretend everything is fine, you may create emotional distance from God. You stop telling Him what you really think. You offer polite prayers while keeping your deepest questions locked away.
But God already knows what is in your heart. Honesty does not inform Him; it opens you to relationship with Him.
God Gives You Permission to Lament
The Bible gives us a language for seasons when God feels distant: lament.
Lament is the honest expression of grief, confusion, anger, disappointment, and pain before God.
A large portion of the Psalms consists of lament. The writers ask questions such as:
- “How long, Lord?”
- “Why have you forgotten me?”
- “Why do you hide your face?”
- “How long must I wrestle with my thoughts?”
These prayers are not examples of faithlessness. They are examples of faith that refuses to run away.
The psalmists brought their pain directly to God. They did not pretend to understand everything. They did not hide their emotions behind religious phrases.
They told God the truth.
Then, often in the same psalm, their perspective began to change. Their circumstances had not necessarily changed, but their focus shifted from the problem to God’s character.
Psalm 13 begins with the cry:
“How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever?”
But later, the writer says:
“But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me.”
The psalmist did not deny the pain. He brought the pain to God and remembered who God is.
Lament and Gratitude Can Exist Together
Many people assume that gratitude requires pretending life is easy. It does not.
You can be grateful and grieving at the same time.
You can say:
- “God, I am hurting, but I still trust Your love.”
- “I do not understand this, but I believe You are with me.”
- “I feel abandoned, but I choose to remember Your faithfulness.”
- “This situation is painful, but You have been good to me.”
The apostle Paul wrote:
“Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
—1 Thessalonians 5:18
Giving thanks in all circumstances does not mean giving thanks for every painful event. It means choosing to recognize God’s presence and goodness even in difficult circumstances.
Gratitude redirects your attention. It helps you remember that your current feelings are real, but they are not the whole story.
The Way Back Begins With Honesty
If you want to know how to reconnect with God, start by telling Him the truth.
You do not need a perfect prayer. You do not need impressive words. You can simply say:
“God, I feel far from You. I am disappointed, tired, and confused. I do not understand what You are doing, but I want to know that You are near.”
That kind of prayer is not weakness. It is an act of faith.
You are choosing to bring your real self to God instead of hiding behind religious performance.
The moment you become honest with God, the drift begins to reverse.
What Does Repentance Have to Do With Feeling Distant From God?
The Old Testament word often translated as “repent” is connected to the idea of turning around and returning.
The New Testament word points to a change in how you think, understand, and respond.
Repentance is not simply feeling guilty. It is turning away from the pattern that has taken you farther from God and turning back toward Him.
When you feel distant from God, repentance may involve:
- Admitting that you are disappointed with Him
- Confessing that you have stopped trusting His character
- Acknowledging that you have been hiding your pain
- Releasing expectations about how God must act
- Choosing to seek Him even before your circumstances change
- Returning to prayer with honesty
You cannot turn around until you acknowledge that you have drifted. That is why honesty is such an important part of spiritual renewal.
A Simple Practice for Finding Your Way Back
Here is a practical way to respond when you feel distant from God.
1. Find a Psalm That Matches Your Emotions
Choose a psalm that reflects what you are experiencing.
If you are afraid, find a psalm about fear. If you are grieving, find one about loss. If you are angry or confused, choose a lament.
Do not select a psalm only because it sounds positive. Find one that gives words to what you are actually feeling. Check out https://revtrev.com/psalms to find all the Psalms of Lament categorized by emotion.
2. Read It Slowly and Out Loud
Allow the words to shape your prayer.
Pause when a sentence expresses something you have been unable to say. Repeat it. Personalize it. Speak honestly to God.
You do not need to rush through the passage.
3. Let Yourself Lament
Tell God what hurts.
Talk about the disappointment, the unanswered prayer, the exhaustion, or the confusion. Do not edit your emotions to make them sound more spiritual.
God can handle your honesty.
4. Remember God’s Character
After you express your pain, reflect on who God has shown Himself to be.
Remember His faithfulness, mercy, patience, goodness, and presence. Think about times He helped you in the past. Recall promises from Scripture.
This does not erase your pain. It places your pain in a larger story.
5. Choose Gratitude
Thank God for one thing.
It may be something significant, or it may be something small:
- A person who supports you
- A moment of peace
- A past answer to prayer
- Strength to make it through today
- God’s patience with you
- The promise that He will never leave you
Gratitude may begin as a decision before it becomes a feeling.
God Is Not Afraid of Your Questions
Many people were taught that faithful Christians should never question God. Yet Scripture is filled with people who questioned, argued, grieved, and cried out to Him.
Job questioned God.
David questioned God.
Jeremiah questioned God.
John the Baptist questioned God.
God did not reject them for bringing their questions to Him.
What damages intimacy is not honest struggle. It is pretense.
You do not need to protect God from your emotions. You need to bring your emotions into His presence.
The Distance May Be an Invitation
The distance you feel may not be a wall between you and God. It may be an invitation to deeper honesty.
Perhaps God is inviting you to move beyond routine prayers and religious performance. Perhaps He is inviting you to bring Him the parts of your heart that you have kept hidden.
You may not receive an immediate explanation for everything you have experienced. But you can begin a genuine conversation with God today.
Bring Him your:
- Disappointment
- Doubt
- Anger
- Grief
- Exhaustion
- Unanswered questions
- Fear of being forgotten
Then allow gratitude to remind you that God’s silence is not proof of His absence.
Final Thoughts on Why You Feel Distant From God
If you are wondering why you feel distant from God, the answer may be connected to disappointment, unmet expectations, unprocessed grief, or a slow spiritual drift.
You do not have to pretend that you are fine.
Start with a prayer of honesty. Find a psalm that expresses what you feel. Read it slowly. Lament before God. Remember His character. Then choose gratitude, even if your circumstances have not changed.
The way back does not begin with performing better. It begins with becoming honest.
God is closer than your next breath. You can bring Him your whole heart—including the parts that are confused, wounded, and afraid.
Find a Psalm that matches how you feel today and begin the conversation.
You can also learn more about the Live LIGHT 70-Day Gratitude Challenge.

Comments
Post a Comment